Download Start Power BI File: https://people.highline.edu/mgirvin/AllClasses/348/MSPTDA/Content/DataModeling/MSPTDA-035-ChangingDimensions-PowerBIAndDAXStart.pbix
Download Finished Power BI File: https://people.highline.edu/mgirvin/AllClasses/348/MSPTDA/Content/DataModeling/MSPTDA-035-ChangingDimensions-PowerBIAndDAXFinished.pbix
Pdf files with notes: https://people.highline.edu/mgirvin/AllClasses/348/MSPTDA/Content/DataModeling/032-35-MSPTDA-ChangingDimensions.pdf
In this video learn about how to deal with a “Slowly Changing Dimensions”, where the Dimension = Employee and the changing Attribute = Team. See a solution for reporting Teams and Employee Sales Over Time using the Matrix Report. Most Important, see how to take a Team-Employee Lookup Table and 1) Create a Dimension Table using the SELECTCOLUMNS function and 2) Add Team-Employee Key to Fact Table by performing a three-way lookup using the CALCULATE, VALUES and FILTER Functions. See a second way to do the 3-way lookup in DAX with the SELECTCOLUMNS and FILTER Functions.
1. (00:18) Introduction and over view the Slowly Changing Dimensions, tha tasks we will perform and the report we need.
2. (02:25) Take a Team-Employee Lookup Table and create a Dimension Table using the SELECTCOLUMNS function
3. (03:35) Take a Team-Employee Lookup Table and add a Team-Employee Key to Fact Table by performing a three-way lookup using the CALCULATE, VALUES and FILTER Functions.
4. (06:40) How to format DAX Formulas
5. (07:22) Explanation of 3-way lookup function with diagrams
6. (07:58) Create Relationships
7. (08:05) Hide Lookup Table
8. (08:26) Create Report for Teams and Employee Sales Over Time using the Matrix Report.
9. (09:34) BONUS FORMULA: Alternative 3-way lookup in DAX with the SELECTCOLUMNS and FILTER Functions.
10. (09:56) Summary
Comprehensive Microsoft Power Tools for Data Analysis Class, BI 348, taught by Mike Girvin, Excel MVP and Highline College Professor.