Microsofts Power BI transforms your company’s data into rich visuals for you to collect and organise so you can focus on what matters to you.
- Import data from various sources (anything from databases, spreadsheets, cvs files, Salesforce, Google or Adobe Analytics, Mailchimp, GitHub, Facebook pages, and so on)
- ‘Shape and ‘Mash’ the data in the query editor
- Create relationships between the various data sources
- Create stunning visualisations
- Create dashboards combining any number of visualisations, plus images and text, etc
- Share dashboards securely
- View dashboards on desktop or mobile
- Interact with the dashboards
Power BI includes a downloadable desktop program (called Power BI Desktop, for obvious reasons – although it was originally called Power BI Designer), and a cloud based version (Power BI Service).
Each of the programs offer different but overlapping capabilities.
The data manipulation/shaping/mashing is only possible in the Desktop version, whereas visualisations, dashboards, and reports can be created in either. Sharing of reports and dashboards is only possible in Power BI Service (the cloud version)